I love days like this in the studio, when there are so many tasks to do that you don’t even stop to think. I opened the molds, cast, shot photographs, modeled in clay, and poured a layer of rubber. Any day that I get to open the molds is always a great because I get to see the finished product at the end of the day. Sculpture is an incredibly messy process, it’s very gratifying to come out with something polished and smooth when you’re done.
The first three casts I made I used Murphy’s oil soap as a release, but the soap left a residue on the surface of the casts that I didn’t like. So I cast more without the release which worked out fine. At the end of the day I noticed that the residue had dried out and disappeared, so it was nice to know that it wasn’t permanent. I finished up the modeling for the next three heads and poured the first layer of rubber.
I shot a ridiculous amount of photographs, and edited them down to these final three images below. It’s crazy the amount of bad photographs I have to shoot in order to get even one image that works for me. Thank goodness for the convenience of digital photography!