I stopped by the print shop today to pick up the proofs that I had printed the other day. Having printed these proofs in somewhat of a flurry the other day, it was nice to pick them up and take a closer look.
What I was surprised was how I managed to get the spray paint to create a very fine grain aquatint. One of the reasons I like the spray paint aquatint is that the results are often coarser and more varied than what you would get with an aquatint achieved with rosin. The other reason is a practical one; spray paint aquatint is very fast compared to an aquatint box, and now that I’ve been doing it for a while I can spray paint my plate with almost perfect results every time. In these recent prints, the aquatint is so fine in some areas that it actually resembles rosin. I did have one zinc plate which open bit in many areas where the aquatint wasn’t sufficiently covering the plate, but I have to say that I was pleased with the results, even if they weren’t what was initially planned.
The other effect which I was feeling unsure about the other day was how accurately the sugarlift worked. In many areas, the sugarlift was extremely faithful to the original ink drawing, picking up every spot and texture created by the greasiness of the plate.