I had my first full day in the studio since school started in September, which felt great. I have a host of preparatory tasks in front of me before I really start the studio work, so I got a jumpstart on those tasks. Primarily I had to figure out whether I could still achieve the 10′ x 4′ size I want with sheets of 8′ x 4′ Dura-Lar. After a lot of experimenting with small Dura-Lar drawings, and a lot of math, I figured out that I could achieve the extra 2′ in height if I attach some pieces together with monofilament wire and place the attached areas towards the bottom of the drawings. At the bottom is where there will be heavy amounts of crayon due to the reflections in the water, which will make it easy to hide where the Dura-Lar is attached. It’s a relief in that the height and shape of these drawings is really important to what I’m trying to achieve.
I worked on some quick gesture drawings from my reference photographs to sketch out which poses I wanted to pursue in sculpture.
I also worked on some sculptures from last winter: there were 2 sculptures I never finished modeling and 2 others whose poses I never connected to.