Yesterday I worked on the x-acto knife and lithographic crayon stage on No. 38. (detail above) I have to admit that I wasn’t thrilled with the etching ink portion of this portrait; the photo reference I had was really lacking and was flat to begin with, so I felt like I was battling this portrait from the very beginning. I’m waiting for a large shipment of Dura-Lar to arrive, as well as another photo shoot with my model, so I figured I may as well use the time to give this piece a shot even though I wasn’t pleased with it. At the same time, I felt like I was kicking a dead horse with this piece and already I’m feeling like this piece is going to be a re-do.
I’m realizing more and more that I’ve become very reliant on the etching ink portion of the drawing to largely carry the weight of the piece. If the work I’m doing with the etching ink doesn’t come out well, I find it really challenging to move onto the lithographic crayon and x-acto knife. I see the lithographic crayon and x-acto knife work to be cosmetic, so if I have structural issues with the etching ink it’s nearly impossible to resolve at the second stage. When my next shipment of Dura-Lar arrives, I’m looking forward to getting some serious work done with the etching ink.