RISD is on spring break this week, so I had all day today in the studio to get going on these paper mache tests. I decided that I wanted to go ahead and do 2 paper mache tests on the scale that I want to be working on. So I went at it with chipboard and a glue gun and constructed two large heads on which I added one layer of paper towels and elmer’s glue. There was really no rhyme or reason to how I constructed the heads, I simply took strips of the chipboard and threw everything together.
I’ve also been picking at this paper mache head for quite some time now, experimenting with what kinds of details I can get in the form. I think I made progress with the lips today; they looked too stiff and rigid before and I think I got them to feel softer and looser. I also have to say that this test head has come a long way from when I started, and I’m glad to see that working reductively, while not easy, is definitely possible with this material. I guess I’m still waiting for that moment when I can say that I’ve “transcended” my material: I like the idea of taking a material that is stiff and hard and giving it a gestural, organic quality through the human form. I want to have the ability to transform the rigidity of the material into something completely different.