I finished up one of the drawings, so I was able to get started on the sketching of a fourth drawing today. Because the etching ink takes so long to dry (about 5 days) I always have to make sure that I have multiple drawings going at different stages so that I always have something to work on. On top of that, the cross-hatching with the x-acto knife is tough on my hands, so I have to spread out that task as much as possible.
I figured since I had the fourth drawing sketched out in vine charcoal that I could jump right into the digital sketches. I think I like the idea of doing the digital sketches from the vine charcoal sketch, they’re a little easier to read.
I’ve also been working a lot on cross-hatching with the x-acto knife over the past few days. You can’t see the hatching at all in the photographs, so I shot a detail image below where you can see the cross-hatched marks more clearly.